This NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Instructor-Led Training (BOPS ILT) course teaches the fundamentals of choosing, shooting, maintaining and safely storing a pistol and ammunition. We also provide an overview of Maryland handgun laws.
This course satisfies the training requirement for the Maryland Handgun Qualification License (HQL), counts as eight hours toward the Maryland Wear and Carry Permit training requirements, and may satisfy the training required for other types of licenses (e.g., to apply for a Florida Concealed Weapon License).
What You’ll Learn
- Essential gun safety rules
- Different types of pistols and which one is best for you
- The basics of ammunition
- The five fundamentals of pistol shooting
- Loading, cocking, de-cocking, and unloading a pistol
- Bench rest and standing shooting positions
- The most common shooting errors
- Choosing a firearm to purchase
- Proper gun cleaning and maintenance
- How to maintain your skills
- Applicable MD and federal laws
- Shooting the course qualification
What You’ll Get
- All qualification range time and targets, and the first 100 rounds of ammunition
- Certificate of completion (if course is successfully completed)
What to Bring
- Pen or pencil
- Highlighter (you’ll highlight some things in the book)
- Your firearm’s owner manual
- Firearm cleaning kit**
* You must shoot a firearm in order to pass this course and get your certificate; therefore, one is required. A .22 works great. If you do not own a firearm (yet), you may rent one at the range.
** If you do not own a cleaning kit (yet), a limited about of supplies will be available for instruction purposes. Please contact us before the class if you would like help purchasing a kit.
Duration: 8 hours
Cost: Starting at $50 + range fees (varies by location; see course schedule)